Tuesday, September 8, 2009

We did it!!!!!!!!

I have to say, when it comes to parenting I tend to think I'm not terrible at it. I'm certainly NOT the best by any means. No Mrs. Cleaver here. I am always repenting(especially of yelling) and trying to be better at it. I guess I have just had a lot of practice. I was the oldest of 4 children and now I have 5 of my own. So far, I haven't messed anybody up too bad so maybe I'm doing ok. I love my kids to pieces and always try to do what is best for them. I discipline them when they do wrong and praise them when they do right. I give them all that they need and a lot of what they want. I teach them things and help them to make good decisions. I've gotten really good at diagnosing their minor illnesses and knowing when its a real cry or a fake one. I try to volunteer at their schools and be a good "soccer mom". I don't do a lot of baking and I can hardly sew a button but I have been blessed with really great kids so my job has been quite easy.

But if there is one thing that has had me completely baffled its POTTY TRAINING. It has honestly been one of the biggest challenges of my entire life! I despise potty training. It is not for inpatient people. If I could have paid someone to do it for me I definitely would have. Everybody always says "don't stress, it's not like they will go to kindergarten in diapers". But they WILL if you don't POTTY TRAIN them! Every single one of my kids have done it differently. They were all mostly different ages, different incentives, and different motivations. I have read books, asked for advice and used every treat you can imagine.

I have been attempting to train Lucas for over a year now. He was never interested. So I kept putting it off and then starting back again later. He would fight me tooth and nail. As evident by the expression on his face here...

This summer I knew I had to do it. He couldn't go to preschool without being potty trained. UGH!!! I gave up until all of the kids went back to school because they were so excited for him I think it was driving him crazy. Who wants an audience when you are trying to do your business, right? I only had 2 weeks to completely train him before preschool started. I broke down and made quite elaborate treat jars(whatever works at this point) and threw all of the diapers out. No exceptions(well, except for sleeping...I hate laundry almost as much as potty training) THE STRESS!!! But I did it!!!! YEA!!!!!!!

NOBODY IN MY HOUSE WILL GO TO KINDERGARTEN IN DIAPERS!!! I can't believe it! I have successfully potty trained 5 children. GO ME!!!



Lucas has since developed a love for his underwear and has also found new uses for them. Like this marker holster. You never know when you will need a place for your markers. This kid is prepared for any coloring emergency.

Here is another thought that will make you cringe... The Garrett family has used about 32,850 diapers of the years. That means I have spent over $10,000 on diapers in the last 11 years. Sounds like we need to look into patenting that Marker Holster idea. Whew...



2 comments:

  1. so that's what you've been up to lately. . . YAHOO! I'm so proud of you, oh, and Lucas too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I've got to potty train Derrick soon. I sooooo do not want to do it. So...its NOT socially acceptable to send your kid to preschool in diapers? Dang. That was my master plan.

    ReplyDelete